Friday, January 26, 2018

Hanging on to Christmas with a Recipe

I intended to post this around Christmas time, but life got busy and just now is the first time I'm thinking about it. For years, my family and friends have always anticipated my Gingerbread cookies at Christmas time. At first, they were my moms, but since I was a teenager, they've become mine. It's not Christmas unless I make these cookies.

Since they're so loved by my family and friends, I wanted to share the recipe so that others can enjoy it as well.



Gingerbread Cookies 
Ingredients:
1 cup shortening (Crisco)
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
4.5 cups flour (you won't use all of it)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger


  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees 
  2. Cream shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl until combined 
  3. Mix in the molasses 
  4. Mix in remaining ingredients (only about 3 and 1/2 cups of flour!) 
  5. Roll into two balls and cover with plastic wrap 
  6. Chill in fridge for about 2 hours or overnight 
  7. When you're ready to bake, flour your surface and roll a ball of dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness. 
  8. Cut with cookie cutters and place on an uncreased baking sheet. 
  9. Bake cookies for about 8-10 minutes (more like 10) and then let them cool on a drying rack. 
While most people decorate their cookies, I like to leave mine plain. They are cruchier than other Gingerbread cookies, so I think they go nicely with a cup of coffee or tea. 

These cookies have been such a long time favorite for me, that I hope they become the same for you and your family! 

-Sydney Liz 

No comments:

Post a Comment